Product Service Engineer
Posted on: September 13, 2023
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL, USA
Hours: 1st Shift (08:00 am – 5:00 pm)
As a direct report to the Service Operations Manager and an indirect report (dotted line) to the VP of Service, the Product Service Engineer is a key member of the Product Service and Customer Support Teams. The role provides technical support to in-house repair teams, collaborates with global service engineering teams to implement new products service tools and procedures, and helps to design, develop and improve service processes.
Qualified person shall be able to identify and resolve technical issues with product(s) serviceability and design for service, determine root cause and influence new product designs by providing feedback to product design teams. This is a hybrid position that requires the technical acumen to repair a product and knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering. This position requires sharp critical thinking and problem-solving skills, the ability to communicate clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical individuals, and the ability to work both independently and within a team.
Qualified individual must have experience with tooling for electrical and mechanical parts (HVAC preferred), possess and rely upon mechanical, electrical and electronics aptitude, must have good analytic skills, able to perform in a complex environment and is passionate about supporting team goals.
- Associate degree with technical acumen and hands-on experience providing technical support for complex electrical/mechanical products. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience using test equipment to troubleshoot mechanical, thermal and electrical issues
- Strong technical acumen to support design, maintenance and repair of devices is required. Experience with cryogenic products preferred (e.g. Coldheads, helium-based compressors, and/or Cryopumps)
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand electronic/electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, technical specifications and requirements
- Ability to braze copper tube, replace circuit boards and other parts, etc. in the various mentioned products
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of engineering and ability to apply principles to tools and fixtures design.
- Knowledge and experience with tooling for electrical and mechanical parts, dimensional and functional accuracy of part drawings, product specifications, and tool diagrams.
- Strong Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Ability to learn new business software packages and programs as needed is required.
- Cryogenic service experience is a plus.
- Ability to pass a personal background check and/or clearance at time of hire and as required by Customers is required.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
This is a mid-level individual contributor role with no supervisory responsibilities.
Varies. The willingness and ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 20% of the time (Note that 10% represents the maximum travel amount. Typically requires 0% travel.)
- Position constantly requires the ability to sit, stand and walk, talk, hear and actively listen; use of hands and finger to handle, feel, grasp; and ability to manipulate small objects.
- Position frequently requires the ability to lift and/or carry items (1-25 lbs.); reach with hands and arms; manual dexterity.
- Position occasionally requires bending/squatting, the ability to carry and lift items of varying weights (25- 50 lbs.)
- Normal range of hearing and vision required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to machinery, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in parts of the work environment can be elevated. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to different gases and extreme temperatures (torch brazing).
About the SHI Cryogenics Group and Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc.
SHI Cryogenics Group, an integral part of the Precision Equipment Division of Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd., is a leading worldwide provider of innovative cryogenic and vacuum solutions to the medical, semiconductor, flat panel, general coating and research industries. With offices in Asia, Europe and the United States, it has been producing quality cryogenic equipment for over 60 years. SHI’s renowned engineering departments continue to focus on the latest cryogenic and vacuum technologies, including innovative cryopump and cryocooler designs. Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. (“SCAI”) is the North American Division of the SHI Cryogenics Group, focusing on design, manufacturing, sales and service with its corporate office in Allentown, PA, and additional locations in Illinois, California, and Texas.
Benefits of Working for SCAI
- Competitive Pay and Total Compensation Package
- Comprehensive and EXCELLENT [above industry norms] Healthcare, Dental, Group Term Life and Disability Benefits Programs
- Group Retirement (401k and Roth) Plans (with Company Match)
- An inclusive culture that genuinely values and appreciates employees.
- Opportunities for growth, development, and internal promotion (above average Training and Development Benefits)
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran/military status.
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is a proud sponsor of the Lehigh Valley Section of the Society of Women Engineers – SWE Scholarship Fund.
Search Firms & Recruiters – Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this position.