Test Development Engineer
Posted on: February 27, 2023
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
Reports to: Product Development Engineering Manager
The Test Development Engineer is responsible for designing, developing, implementing and standardizing test equipment and test programs for design verification and production testing of cryogenic refrigeration products. This will include the integration of test equipment and authoring test software to achieve engineering and production test objectives. The person will maintain, support and develop all production test procedures and equipment for Allentown and the global service centers.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics required. M.S. preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant cumulative internship, co-operative or full-time work experience OR 1+ years of experience and cumulative GPA ≥ 3.2
- Detail oriented. Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills. Ability to provide engineering support to production, service, sales and customers. Ability to provide technical direction to designers, suppliers and technicians.
- Understand and uphold safety & security procedures for both the workplace and products
- Work closely with the Production, Quality, Engineering, and Production teams. Specify and design new production test equipment by understanding new products in development.
- Create test design documentation including test instructions, specifications, drawings and verification plans. Prepare and document engineering technical reports on design, analysis, and design concepts. Prepare specifications for purchases of materials or equipment
- Provide technical support to manufacturing including hands-on debug of test systems.
- Contribute to project plans by providing time-scale estimates and cost estimates for test systems.
- Generate test software (LabVIEW, etc.)
- Contribute to the company’s production engineering objectives with regard to new product introduction, process improvement and lean manufacturing
- Participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
Beneficial Skills & Attributes
- LabVIEW experience
- Knowledge of CAD
- Cryogenic refrigeration product knowledge
- Cryogenic instrumentation experience
- Good mechanical aptitude/hands-on skills
- Experience in design of electrically controlled equipment, circuits and control systems that comply with applicable safety standards
- Good project management skills. Understands critical tasks needed to complete a project in a timely manner. Capable of providing accurate labor and material cost estimations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to lead projects.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems
About the SHI Cryogenics Group and Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc.
SHI Cryogenics Group, an integral part of the Precision Equipment Division of Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd., is a leading worldwide provider of innovative cryogenic and vacuum solutions to the medical, semiconductor, flat panel, general coating and research industries. With offices in Asia, Europe and the United States, it has been producing quality cryogenic equipment for over 60 years. SHI’s renowned engineering departments continue to focus on the latest cryogenic and vacuum technologies, including innovative cryopump and cryocooler designs. Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. (“SCAI”) is the North American Division of the SHI Cryogenics Group, focusing on design, manufacturing, sales and service with its corporate office in Allentown, PA, and additional locations in Illinois, California, and Texas.
Benefits of Working for SCAI
- Competitive Salary
- Growing Co with a GREAT culture that genuinely values our employees
- Excellent Healthcare Benefits (well above industry norms)
- Excellent Benefits Package (including 401k with Match, Paid Holidays, Discount Program)
- Excellent Training & Development Benefits
- Unlimited Career Growth Opportunity (great place to learn and grow your career)
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran/military status.
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is a proud sponsor of the Lehigh Valley Section of the Society of Women Engineers – SWE Scholarship Fund.
Search Firms & Recruiters – Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this position.