Senior Cryogenic Engineer
Posted on: August 2, 2023
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
This position is an excellent opportunity for a qualified engineering professional to work with a team to analyze, design, develop, and test new cryogenic refrigeration products. The Senior Cryogenic Engineer is responsible for generating the intellectual property necessary to produce new products, improve existing products, apply existing technology to emerging applications and extend the SCAI product portfolio to new markets.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong academic background and performance. M.S. in Cryogenic Engineering required, Ph.D. preferred.
- M.S. or Ph.D. candidates from other fields may be considered if they have relevant cryogenic experience.
- 10+ years of relevant cumulative research, internship, co-operative or full-time work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to generate innovative product design concepts.
- Generate intellectual property that results in patentable technology or trade secrets
- Execute engineering design, analysis, or evaluation using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product/program requirements
- Develop analytical models for complex cryogenic devices. Verification of analytical models with empirical data.
- Perform thermodynamic, heat transfer and fluid flow analyses for cryogenic refrigeration systems.
- Perform finite element stress analysis on mechanical components subjected to thermal, dynamic and pressure loads.
- Plan, develop, and execute design and test programs for qualification of components and prototypes
- Ensure designs meet functional and performance specifications
- Provide technical support to personnel across all the functions supporting projects,
- Prepare and document engineering technical reports on design, analysis, and product design concepts
- Prepare specifications for purchases of materials or equipment
- Participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
Beneficial Skills & Attributes
- Experience designing cryocoolers and other cryogenic refrigeration equipment. Demonstrated expertise in thermodynamics, material properties, instrumentation and machine design at cryogenic temperatures.
- Strong programming skills. Demonstrated ability to build analytical models for complex cryogenic devices.
- Knowledge of GM cryocoolers (reciprocating and pulse tube), high vacuum systems, cryopumps and their applications.
- Knowledge of Mechanical and Electrical code and regulatory standards such as PED, UL, IEC, RoHS.
- Knowledge of machine shop practices, as related to manufacturing and fabrication techniques.
- Good project and time management skills – ability to work with minimum or no supervision. Understands critical tasks needed to complete a project in a timely manner. Capable of providing accurate labor and material cost estimations.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to lead projects.
About Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc.
SHI Cryogenics Group, an integral part of the Precision Equipment Division of Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd., is a leading worldwide provider of innovative cryogenic and vacuum solutions to the medical, semiconductor, flat panel, general coating and research industries. With offices in Asia, Europe and the United States, it has been producing quality cryogenic equipment for over 60 years. SHI’s renowned engineering departments continue to focus on the latest cryogenic and vacuum technologies, including innovative cryopump and cryocooler designs. Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. (“SCAI”) is the North American Division of the SHI Cryogenics Group, focusing on design, manufacturing, sales and service with its corporate office in Allentown, PA, and additional locations in Illinois, California, and Texas. For additional information, visit www.shicryogenics.com.
Benefits of Working for SCAI
- Competitive Pay and Total Compensation Package
- Comprehensive and EXCELLENT [above industry norms] Healthcare, Dental, Group Term Life and Disability Benefits Programs
- Group Retirement (401k and Roth) Plans (with Company Match)
- An inclusive culture that genuinely values and appreciates employees.
- Opportunities for growth, development, and internal promotion (Above average Training and Development Benefits).
- Unlimited Career Growth Opportunity (great place to learn and grow your career)
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran/military status.
Search Firms & Recruiters – Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this position.