R&D Engineering Technician
Posted on: February 16, 2022
Division: SCAI's Vacuum Technology Division
Location: San Diego, CA
Are you an Engineering Technician specialized in the field of electronics with natural curiosity and an interest in learning and working on vacuum technologies used in the booming semiconductor industry? If so, consider joining our team.
SCAI’s Vacuum Technology Division is looking for an experienced and team-oriented Engineering Technician with knowledge of basic circuit principles, PCA fabrication and grounding and experience repairing, modifying, and building electrical/electronic systems from schematic drawings to facilitate Design Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analyses (DFMECA).
Qualified candidates possess a strong understanding of electronics principles such as Ohm’s Law, circuit principles (analog and digital), AC / DC analysis, component related electronic failure modes, Root Cause Analysis concepts and are skilled in the use of standard electronic measurement equipment (e.g., multi-meters and oscilloscopes).
This is a career-level individual contributor position working under the direction of the Technology Development Manager, Vacuum Division, with a dedicated team of engineers and technicians on technologies within the semiconductor vacuum measurement and control fields in our San Diego CA R&D Manufacturing facility.
Required Basic Education and Experience
- Technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field plus 5 years’ job-relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree with 2 years’ job-relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Strong understanding of electronics principles such as Ohm’s Law, circuit principles (analog and digital), AC / DC analysis, PCA fabrication, grounding, component-related electronic failure modes and Root Cause Analysis concepts.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in the use of standard electronic measurement equipment (e.g., multi-meters and oscilloscopes).
- Demonstrated ability to repair, modify, and build electrical/electronic systems from schematic drawings
- Demonstrated ability to use basic power tools and assemble chassis using basic mechanical fabrication techniques
- Demonstrated experience reading and working from schematics, diagrams, written and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform testing, calibration, checkout and trouble-shooting functions
- Demonstrated experience using test software and equipment to support R&D or manufacturing
- Knowledge of and basic understanding of regulatory processes and requirements is a plus (UL, CE, ROHS, FDA, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience designing Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analyses (DFMECA) and providing feedback for engineers and manufacturing personnel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with high-voltage/ high-current power supplies, analog/digital electronics, basic computer networking
- Software Knowledge: Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated project planning/management skills
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively work both independently and with a team; able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks at once while consistently being attentive to details. Able to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, be self-motivated and self-directed. Proven time management skills.
- Strong Communication Skills (including active listening). Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively with technical and non-technical individuals, effectively present information and respond to questions to/from groups of peers, managers, clients and customers. Able to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication and active listening skills on an ongoing basis
- Team Player. Able to build, influence and maintain positive work relationships with diverse personalities and with others at all levels, inside and outside of SCAI
- Flexibility to work outside normal office hours as business needs dictate.
- Trustworthy with confidential information and matters. Excellent moral and ethical standards.
- Ability to pass a personal background check and/or clearance at time of hire and as required by customers is required.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
About Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc.
SHI Cryogenics Group, an integral part of the Precision Equipment Division of Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd., is a leading worldwide provider of innovative cryogenic and vacuum solutions to the medical, semiconductor, flat panel, general coating and research industries. With offices in Asia, Europe and the United States, it has been producing quality cryogenic equipment for over 60 years. SHI’s renowned engineering departments continue to focus on the latest cryogenic and vacuum technologies, including innovative cryopump and cryocooler designs. Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. (“SCAI”) is the North American Division of the SHI Cryogenics Group, focusing on design, manufacturing, sales and service with its corporate office in Allentown, PA, and additional locations in Illinois, California, and Texas. For additional information, visit www.shicryogenics.com.
Benefits of Working for SCAI
- Competitive Pay and Total Compensation Package
- Comprehensive and EXCELLENT [above industry norms] Healthcare, Dental, Group Term Life and Disability Benefits Programs
- Group Retirement (401k and Roth) Plans (with Company Match)
- An inclusive culture that genuinely values and appreciates employees.
- Opportunities for growth, development, and internal promotion (Above average Training and Development Benefits).
- Unlimited Career Growth Opportunity (great place to learn and grow your career)
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran/military status.
Search Firms & Recruiters – Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this position.