Product Development Engineer
Posted on: February 27, 2023
Location: Allentown, PA, USA
Reports to: New Product Engineering Manager
The Product Development Engineer is an entry-level position that utilizes their expertise to analyze, design, develop, and test cryogenic refrigeration products. For new products, the Product Design Engineer is responsible for all phases of the product development life cycle: conceptual design, requirement generation, performance optimization, manufacturability, reliability, serviceability and cost. The Product Development Engineer also provides stewardship for existing products by managing projects for cost reduction, obsolescence and manufacturing support.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BS in STEM discipline required. BS in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Cumulative GPA ≥ 3.0
- 1+ year of relevant cumulative internship, co-operative or full-time work experience.
- Detail oriented. Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills. Ability to provide engineering support to production, service, sales and customers. Ability to provide technical direction to designers, suppliers and technicians.
- Understand and uphold safety & security procedures for both the workplace and products.
- Execute engineering design, analysis, or evaluation using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
- Plan, develop, and execute design and test programs for qualification of components and prototypes
- Ensure designs meet functional and performance specifications
- Provide technical support to personnel across all the functions supporting projects,
- Prepare and document engineering technical reports on design, analysis, and product design concepts
- Prepare specifications for purchases of materials or equipment
- Participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
Beneficial Skills & Attributes
- Knowledge of CAD and mechanical stress analysis
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical code and regulatory standards such as PED, UL, IEC, RoHS.
- Good mechanical aptitude/hands-on skills
- Experience in design of electrically controlled equipment, circuits and control systems that comply with applicable safety standards
- Good project management skills. Understands critical tasks needed to complete a project in a timely manner. Capable of providing accurate labor and material cost estimations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to lead projects.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems
About the SHI Cryogenics Group and Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc.
SHI Cryogenics Group, an integral part of the Precision Equipment Division of Sumitomo Heavy Industries, Ltd., is a leading worldwide provider of innovative cryogenic and vacuum solutions to the medical, semiconductor, flat panel, general coating and research industries. With offices in Asia, Europe and the United States, it has been producing quality cryogenic equipment for over 60 years. SHI’s renowned engineering departments continue to focus on the latest cryogenic and vacuum technologies, including innovative cryopump and cryocooler designs. Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. (“SCAI”) is the North American Division of the SHI Cryogenics Group, focusing on design, manufacturing, sales and service with its corporate office in Allentown, PA, and additional locations in Illinois, California, and Texas.
Benefits of Working for SCAI
- Competitive Salary
- Growing Co with a GREAT culture that genuinely values our employees
- Excellent Healthcare Benefits (well above industry norms)
- Excellent Benefits Package (including 401k with Match, Paid Holidays, Discount Program)
- Excellent Training & Development Benefits
- Unlimited Career Growth Opportunity (great place to learn and grow your career)
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran/military status.
Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is a proud sponsor of the Lehigh Valley Section of the Society of Women Engineers – SWE Scholarship Fund.
Search Firms & Recruiters – Sumitomo (SHI) Cryogenics of America, Inc. is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this position.